Sunday, November 13, 2011

Election and Eternal Security

John 6:37-40, "All the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.38. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine will, but the will of him that sent me. 39. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. 40. And this is the will of him that sent me, and every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day."

What quick nuggets of truth about divine election and eternal security of the true believer can we learn from this passage as we "let the Scripture speak."

1. Election- Believers are a love gift to the Son and all will come [v. 37a].

This transaction took place in eternity past [John 17:6, 8,11-12; 2 Tim. 1:9; Rev. 13:8;17:8].

Here we see both the sovereignty of God in salvation and human responsibility in hearing the gospel and believing.

All those given to the Son in eternity past will come to the Son in time.

2. Eternal Salvation- The repenting believing sinner who comes to Christ is eternally secure in Christ v. 40].

Our security is not in us but in Christ. He is the one who does the persevering work.

There is no such thing as a true believer losing salvation by quit believing.

We sin and undergo the correction of the Lord because we are children [Heb. 12:5-11]. Correction proves Son-ship.

We are eternally secure because we have been elected.

We have everlasting life given to us by the Son and the Father. We have a guaranteed bodily resurrection at the rapture or the resurrection of the just.