"Jesus Confronts Our Culture"
As Christians, we value all people, regardless of culture, because we recognize that all people are created in the image of God (Genesis 1:27).
We also recognize that diversity of culture is a beautiful thing and differences in food, clothing, language, etc., should be preserved and appreciated.
At the same time, we know that because of sin, not all beliefs and practices within a culture are godly or culturally beneficial.
Truth is not subjective; truth is absolute, and there does exist a moral standard to which all people of every culture will be held accountable (Revelation 20:11-12).
When we talk of culture then, we speak of the world system headed up by Satan who is the god of this world with its mindset, philosophies, and ideologies apart from God and his Word. There are two world views- the world view and the Christian world view. One is based on fallen man and the other on the inspired Word.
v. 3: This passage is about the Pharisees trying to draw Jesus into a debate between two sects of Jews in regard to marriage and divorce. As a result, he would be at odds with Moses.
1. Rabbi Hillel taught that one could divorce his wife for any reason, including burning dinner or being unpleasant.
2. Rabbi Shammai taught that divorce was permissible on in "indecency."
vs. 4-6: Jesus took them to the Scriptures citing Gen. 1:27 and Gen. 2:24. The Bible teaches marriage is a monogamous relationship between a man and a woman for life.
Except for unfaithfulness (Matt. 19:9; Mark ) and Paul's teaching about desertion of the unbelieving spouse (1 Cor. -16).
But I see something else here that speaks to the wayward decadent culture we live in the here and now.
TT- In our text today, Jesus confronts our culture with two damning statements:
I. You Have Profaned Creation [v. 4].
Jesus quotes, Genesis 1:26-27 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
This needs no explanation, no exegesis, or no exposition. God created two genders- male and female! He did not create transgender or Adam and Eve and something in between. All sexual perversion would be reversed if they would believe Gen. 1-11.
Biblical manhood and Biblical marriage are under attack. If you disagree with today's culture then you are a right wing, fundamental bigot in need of diversity training in today's political correct culture. Sexual perversion and deviancy is not a civil right nor those who practice it a minority.
Bible teaching is not hate speech, what is hate speech is profaning God's creation design.
Until they tell me they died and were resurrected on the third day, I am going to follow and listen to the one who did.
They will do what they can to silence and marginalize the Christian voice. We must speak because we are ambassadors of Christ speaking and living as salt and light exposing the evil deeds of this wicked world.
Sexual deviants are not born that way and their is no gay gene. What you have is outright rebellion to God and His law. God will not be mocked and
is turned over to our sin (Rom. 1:26-28). America
Let me share three modern day cases:
1. Facebook introduced dozens of options for users to identify their gender, although they would not be releasing a complete list. They can select a 'custom" gender option.
ABC News has identified 58 gender options which you can pick up and read on the table. They can come up with 58, but I bet the hospital maternity ward will still have, "It's a boy" or "It's a girl."
2. Ken Ham of "Answers in Genesis- In the UK a high-end department store named Selfridges, is doing away with men's and women's departments to 'unisex clothing."
Huffington Post says they are doing away with male and female mannequins in favor of a more gender-neutral mannequin. "We want our customers to dress without limitations and stereotypes.
3. Olympic star Bruce Jenner- He won the gold medal in the decathlon in 1976. He was on the Wheaties box and cover of playgirl. He is now in transition from a man to a woman through a series of transforming surgeries.
If its not natural its not biblical!
I. You Have Profaned Creation [v. 4].II. You Have Profaned Marriage [vs. 5-6].
37 states have licensed same-sex marriage and the Supreme Court continues to overturn states who passed the "Defense of Marriage Act." U.S. Supreme Court is considering it now.
Let me share some cases:
Fire Chief was fired because He wrote a book on his Christian
faith in which he took his stand on Biblical marriage and refusal of same-sex
2. Supreme Court Justices in
can't affirm Biblical marriage and set on the high
3. Christian Cake bakers were fined and forced to go to diversity training for refusing to make cakes for same-sex marriages.
4. Secular companies are increasingly producing ads that promote or attempting to what they call “normalize” homosexual behavior and gay marriage.
For example, as a part of its “Put Your Heart to Paper” campaign, Hallmark featured the story of a young lesbian couple. And Nikon featured the story and a gallery of photos of a family of three children with their gay fathers. J.C. Penney had ads promoting two men as fathers on Father's Day.
5. TV shows and movies flaunt same-sex and transgender themes.
6. They are coming into the church to take away tax exempt status and will force us to hire gay people and recognize and perform same-sex marriages. They will declare Biblical teaching as hate speech.
Jesus quotes Gen. 2:18-25
Con: Our nation is sowing the seed of our own destruction.